God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Monday 8 December, 2008

Story from Upnishad

As we all know Ego is like our shadow. How much ever we try to control it and keep away, it will not go easily. But atleast we should be aware that due to Egoistic behaviour we ruin our relations.
There was a war between devtas and daityas. Devtasas won the war. So they became egoistic. The Devtaas Vaayu, Indra and Agni are the three main. They started arguing amongst themselves by stressing that one is more powerful than the other.

Indra said "I am most powerful devtaa. I look after this earth. If I stop sending rain, this earth will get dried. The rivers, lakes sea all will dry. Nobody will get water to drink, even plants and animal will die due to thirst. There will no food also as plant will not grow. The entire species of earth will die of thirst."

The Agni devtaa said "without water the earth can run for sometime but not without fire. Man's body runs on heat, if it becomes cold, they die. If the heat is not there on earth, all will decay. There is heat in the sun, it gives life on earth. But if I stop giving heat, nobody will be able to breathe and survive."

The vaayu devtaa said " what are you talking. I am the most powerful on the earth. Without air, all the species on earth will die instantly. How can they survive without oxygen and air."

Now all these important devtaas started showing their strength. Each one wanted to prove that he is more powerful than the other.

God was listening to their argument. He knew that they are interlinked. None can survive without the other. I have given them the power to help the earth and now due to Ego they are fighting.
While they were fighting, they saw some powerful and beautiful light passed by. The powerful light was stronger than the sun's light. When they went near, they saw beautiful devi. They said "who is this beautiful and bright looking devi?"
Agni first went forward and started talking and asked in a powerful tone "who are you? You don't know I am Agni devtaa. I can burn you anytime. I can destroy the entire world with fire and heat. She replied "you don't know who am I?" I have never seen Agni devtaa before. You don't look familiar to me."
Agni got very angry. The devi said "if you are so powerful, then take this thin dry stem of tree, burn it to show me that you are very powerful. Agni tried to burn that dried stem with full might, but it did not catch fire. He tried with his full strength but could not burn the dried stem.

Seeing this the vaayu said "oh devi, what agni cannot do, I can do. I am vaayu, I can blow this thin stem in one instance. I am so powerful that if I stop giving air, the entire world will die immediately without oxygen. I am so powerful that if I bring storm heavy stones, mountains can get destroyed. The devi said "blow this dried stem to show your strength." Vaayu with full strength tried to blow but could not and finally gave up.

Now Indra devtaa approached near devi and said "see I am more powerful than Agni and Vaayu. I can bring heavy rain and get the earth flooded with water and people will die of drowning. If I stop sending water the earth will die due to thirst. Now you know I am the most powerful."
The devi said "just shake this small stem with water and prove your might"
Vaayu tried level best but could not bring rain or little water to shake the stem.
Finally he also gave up.
Then these three devtaas apologised and said "we are sorry and agree that we cannot have powers without God's wish. Can you tell us who are you?'

The devi said "I am God. I came to test you. You became very egoistic thinking that the earth runs on your power. You are mistaken. The power of vaayu, Agni and Indra is with the Almighty. If you don't unite your powers will be snatched away. You three devtaas are interlinked. One cannot work without the help of other. Please give up this Ego and jointly do your work or else your powers will not serve the purpose of this Earth. I can snatch your powers if you do not work together. All are equally important on this earth and it is because of my blessings.

No comments: