God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Monday 20 October, 2008

Poverty to Greed

Once in Gurukul Diksha festival was going on. All rich people and their children had gathered over there and brought rich gifts as diksha for their Guru. Guru and his wife were sitting. There was arrangement for yagya. The Brahmin was chanting ved mantra and yagya was going on. There was one poor student also. He was crying and feeling ashamed that he has nothing to offer to his Guru.

Guru and wife noticed that their student is crying. They said "there is no difference in our Gurukul, rich and poor are same. You need not worry about gift. You have paid your Gurudakshina by doing service to us. You have done lot of service for the Gurukul, you have studied hard and you are a brilliant student. We have got your Gurudakshina in form of your love, your discipline, your respect for us. Nobody has offered this dakshina to us. This is my biggest and precious gift from you."

But the poor boy was not convinced with his Guru's explanation. He was stubborn and bent upon offering dakshna to his Guru. Then Guru and his wife asked him what do want to offer as Gurudakshina? The boy replied that when I return in your respected feet you should accept whatever I offer you." They blessed him and said "as you wish". The boy took leave from his Guru.

He went and stayed at his friend's house. He was feeling restless, he was not getting sleep. The friend asked him that why is he feeling so tensed and disturbed. The boy said that for twelve years he stayed at Gurukul, learnt so much from his Guru but he has nothing to offer him in Gurudakshina. So many rich boys offered gifts to Guru but I am so poor that I have nothing to offer him."

The friend consoled him and said "there is king staying in our area. He is very generous and whatever you demand, he will try to fulfill your wish." The boy was very happy. He immediately rushed to meet the king. He entered King's darbar. The king came down and observed him thoroughly.The boy explained to him the entire things about Gurudakshina.

The king said "put forward your demand but do not act stingy(kanjoos). Demand for big and I will offer you." The boy was very amused and excited. He thought he will ask for thousands of gold coins. The king said "till now nobody has come to demand anything from me. All the people in my area are happy. They have no demand. You are the first and probably the last person so put forth your demand so don't hesitate, you can ask for anything."

The boy was confused. He thought to himself that when King is ready to give me anything why not demand for lakhs of coins. He was nervous. The king said "think big and think again. You look very tensed. Relax and then come to me. I will just take a stroll around in my garden."

The boy thought why not ask for crores of rupees. Then he thought that he would demand for half of his empire, hal of king's property. Again king came back and asked "have you decided about what you want?" The boy was still hesitant and nervous. The king smiled and said "just relax think properly and take firm decision. I will definitely offer anything you demand." The king gave him time to think and went for another round in his garden.

After sometime the king came back and asked "what have you decided?" In a haste the boy said "I want your entire property, your empire."
The king immediately agreed and thanked gGod by saying "Oh! God, today what sort of person you have sent to me. I have become so old, my hair and beard have turned grey. My entire body has become weak and old. I have got cataract in my eyes. Nobody was willing to take care of this empire. Now I have found one. I am so happy and delighted. Atlast I have found somebody to take this crown, to look after my property. This worry and tension about my empire had made me feel old. Today somebody has come to takeover these worries. I am very relieved."

Hearing the kings pray the boy felt that the king is dumping his tensions and worries upon me. It is like throwing a snake on me. He requested the king to take one more round of the garden so that he can think over again.
The king sternly said "No, now you have sit on this throne." The boy again told the king to take one more round and give him chance to think again. The king said"nothing doing as you are ready to take from me, you should be ready to give it to your Guru as dakshina."

The boy got scared and ran away fast from there without demanding anything.

The greed in us never allows us to sit in peace. The more we get the more we want. Always think and act peacefully otherwise you may miss golden opportunities from your life. Peace is a most precious ornament. Don't let it get stolen from your house. If once it goes, it becomes difficult to get it back. The Peace lies with God.

No comments: