God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Friday 19 September, 2008

A skull(khopdi)

There used to be a saint a philosopher in China. He was very knowledgeable Rishi.
Once when it was evening time and it was raining, he and his disciples passed by a graveyard. Accidentally he stamped upon a skull(khopdi). He sat down over there. He bowed down and begged for sorry from the skull. His disciples said that what are doing, it is raining and they had to reach their place before the rains become heavy. It is graveyard and why are you holding the skull in your hand. Let us go.

The saint said "let me apologise and beg sorry from this skull". His disciples said"this is a skull and why beg sorry from a skull".
He replied "this is not an ordinary people's graveyard. This is specially meant for for kings and higher status people. See the wonder. For death the door is same for all. Everybody has to exit from there. But even after death we have kept differences between rich and poor. Looks like this skull(khopdi) belongs to some King since it is found in this graveyard. Let me beg sorry from him".

Then he took the skull with him. Every morning he used to sit and pray in front of it. People thought he has gone mad. They asked him that why has he kept khopdi in his place and why does he pray in front of it. He said "since I stamped on this khopdi, I should beg sorry for it. It is a King's khopdi. If this king would have been alive and by mistake I would have stamped upon him, he would have immediately ordered his man to kill me and cut my body into pieces. Think about the anger and the wrath the King must have had when he was alive. What a life he lead. But now when he is dead and I stamped upon the skull, there was no response. No anger nor any Ego, it is just being crushed upon by people's foot. Isn't that funny. Just lying unnoticed".

The saint further said "I have kept this with me to remind me every minute that anytime I can also turn into a skull(khopdi). When I get egoistic and angry, it keeps nagging me that I am not what I am today. When I get possessive(moha)or deeply attached, become greedy, egocentric or any sin i commit it reminds me that once this khopdi also had a family, children for whom he must be doing everything to keep them happy. But after death where is the family, the children, the money etc. All turned into a skull(khopdi). I tell myself that this is now a khopdi and in future same will be my fate. I will also become khopdi and people will upon stamp me as I have stamped upon this skull(khopdi). This skull(khopdi) has opened up my eyes, it gives me true picture of life, given me consciousness.

No comments: