God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Wednesday 11 June, 2008

Surrender to God in full, not in bits

Once Swami Ramakrishna Paramhans was giving lectures(satsang) to his disciples. During that time a man, who was a rich businessman, entered the hall. He had five hundred golden coins in his purse and he was trying to attract people by making noise with the coins. Later he opened and handed over the purse to Swamiji. Swami Paramhans laughed and gave a faint smile. Now all those present there became inquisitive, they wanted to know what was in the purse. The businessman said "This a small gift for you, please accept it." Swamiji then replied " I accept anything, even your abuses or if anybody insults me, criticizes me , I accept that also as a gift. If anybody throws mud or dirt on me, cow dung etc.I accept it with smile, but Oh! you have offered me so many golden coins, why should I refuse this, I accept this also with grace.

Then Swami Paramhas asked that man that since these coins were closed in a purse, why did you open and gave it to me, if you really intend to give me this gift, you could have peacefully placed in front of me, where was the need to make a show of it. You have disturbed everybody, even my satsang got disturbed. Then the man apologised and begged sorry from Swamiji. Swamiji said "You have offered me five hundred golden coins,now you should not have any possessiveness or attachment towards them, from now on they belong to me. In front of entire public the man agreed that and said "these coins are now yours, swamiji, I have no attachment or any binding on them." Then swamiji immediately ordered him to throw these coins in Ganga river.

The man's hands and legs started shivering. He was thinking how could he throw five hundred golden coins in river, has swamiji gone mad. People say that swamiji is mad, now I totally believe in what people say about swamiji. The man was in a fix as he had already agreed that these coins do not belong to him , swamiji has full right over them. Swami Vivekanand was also sitting next to Swami Paramhans.

The man finally went towards the river to throw these coins in river Ganga and sat down at the edge of the river. When it became very long and the man did not return, Swami Paramhans told Narendra(Swami Vivekanand) to check what is the man doing near the river.

When Narendra went there, he saw the man was counting each and every coin and throwing them slowly with bitter heart in the river. He was sweating, then Narendra took the purse from his hand and threw all the coins in one instance. He then pulled his hand and brought him near Swami Ramakrishna. Swamuji then explained to him that when you have surrendered anything, surrender it with full heart. Since you said they are mine, it is now my look out what should I do with it. Now you canoot stake claim over it.

When we surrender or offer anything to God, we offer in full, not in bits. We don't offer our nose, or eyes, or hands etc. No the true worshiper will surrender everything in an instance. God does not want your money, your flowers or anything. Everything is his which we enjoy today. He has given us good brains to do research, think, judge, good body to enjoy the beautiful world. But what have done in return. God is pleased with us when we surrender everything to him. He will take care, you cannot stake claim to his belongings, it is temporary amanat. Take care of it as one day you have to forcefully return it to him. So why not willingly offer him and leave the rest to him. When a person dies his entire body dies, not in parts.

No comments: