God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Tuesday 24 June, 2008

Lord Narayan and his disciples

In Kanchi there is a temple of Lord Narayan. The priest of the temple is appointed by the King of the city. Once the king told the priest to leave the city as he was going to appoint another priest for this temple. This priest used to take care of an old Mahatma of the temple. He used to cook food, wash clothes, vessels etc and all possible care of that old Mahatma. The priest had no choice but to obey king's command. When the priest was to leave, he came and touched the feet of the old Mahatma and told him I am leaving the city as I have been ordered by the king to quit this job. The old Mahatma immediately got up and said "since you are leaving the city, what will I do over here, nobody can take better care of me than you, I will also come with you." Both of them got ready to leave the temple and the city.

When they were going, the Mahatama told the priest that it is our duty to inform Lord Narayan also before leaving. They then joined hands prayed to God Narayan and wanted to take leave from him. Then Narayan, who was sitting on the throne of sheshnag and mouth of sheshnag is like a chatra(shelter), he said if you both are leaving then what would I do over here. I will also join you. They all carried their belongings and Lord Narayan also packed up is sheshnag throne.

When Lord Narayan was about to leave, the entire city became dark, there was no sunlight. The king immediately came running and saw Lord Narayan, the old Mahatma and priest are going together, the king begged sorry from God and apologised for his mistake. He told God not to leave the city. The Lord replied"I always go behind my true bhakt, my disciple. I can't stay without them. If you really want me to stay back in this city then you must request the Mahatma and the priest to stay back. The king begged sorry form both of them and asked the pujari to continue serving the temple rituals.

The priest and the Mahatma kept their belongings back and Lord Narayan also unpacked his Sheshnag throne. In a hurry the sheshnag's mouth i.e. the face turned backwards i.e. on the reverse side. Till today the chatra is on the revere direction . If you visit Kanchi you will find that sheshnag throne in that temple has the face of sheshnag throne is on the reverse direction.

No comments: