God - The Creator

God - The Creator

Friday 4 April, 2008

Story by Rabindranath Tagore

Early morning a beggar while leaving his house put a jholi(bag) on his shoulder and told his wife to put few rice in it so that while begging people should feel that there are others also who are giving me. Empty jholi nobody likes to put something. His wife put bits of rice in his jholi and he left to do begging job. On his way he was thinking that today is a special amavasaya day, there will be a fair and I can get lot of alms and my jholi will be full.

As the beggar reached the main rooad he saw the king of his capital coming fast on his golden chariot. He was alone there were no bodyguards. He thought that normally nobody can directly approach the king as he is always surrounded by his men but today he is all alone, What an opportunity to beg from the king? I will stop him and beg for some alms. The chariot stopped in front of the beggar and the king got off his chariot. The king spread his jholi in front of the beggar and requested him to give something. The beggar was stunned to see the king begging. He imagined something else that today his jholi will be full because beggar never give anybody, they can only take and the king will give him more.

The king pleaded him and said "I know you being a beggar have never learnt to give, but today I am in big trouble. The jyotishi of my kingdom has told me that my country is in great trouble and to save my country from any trouble I have to go alone and beg from the first person I meet on the way and you are that first person. Please help me and give me any small thing you have. The beggar was hesitant. The king went on pleading, the beggar then slowly took out a bit of rice and handed over to the king. The king thanked him and returned to his palace.

The beggar was very unhappy that he did not get anything from the king and instead had to shell out a bit of rice. Anyway he marched towards the fair(mela). There he got lot of money and other things that his jholi was full upto the brim but still he was lost in thought of giving something to the king. He rushed home and narrated the incidence to his wife by saying that though I got so much from mela but that one bit of rice I had to give the king is constantly nagging my mind. When his wife spread out all the items from his jholi, she found a small rice shaped/size of a piece of gold. They were surprised and happy to see the gold. The beggar immediately started crying "Oh! if I had given entire rice to king, I would have got more gold.

Same is the case with us. Even if we earn thousands of rupees but if we happen to loose ten rupees, we just crib over the loss and never enjoy the money we get in abundance. So enjoy the gains and be satisfied. Never waste your time and energy over losses, it affects your health as well. Strive hard success is not far.

No comments: